Xfinity Mobile offers coverage over Verizon’s network. Verizon has the most extensive wireless network in the United States, so Xfinity Mobile subscribers will receive solid coverage in most areas.1 You can check coverage at your location using Xfinity Mobile’s coverage tool.
Coverage map comparison
The light red color marks areas where Verizon relies on roaming agreements with operators of other 4G networks. I expect most of these networks are part of Verizon’s LTEiRA program that aims to extend Verizon’s coverage profile into rural America.
I compared both companies’ maps and added colored circles to highlight some features on Verizon’s map:
- Several green circles mark 4G roaming areas that are included in Verizon’s map but excluded from Xfinity Mobile’s map.
- Two yellow circles mark 4G roaming areas included in both maps.
If the maps are to be trusted, they suggest Xfinity Mobile offers full service over Verizon’s native 4G network and limited coverage from Verizon’s roaming partners.
Wi-Fi hotspot coverage
Xfinity Mobile subscribers can automatically connect to Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspots. Access to these hotspots is a great perk:
- While connected to an Xfinity hotspot, subscribers can access the internet without using their allotted cellular data.
- Hotspots often provide strong connections in areas where cellular signals would be weak or non-existent (e.g., in basements).
- Xfinity hotspots are extremely common.
An interactive map displaying the locations of Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspots is available on Xfinity’s website. Here’s a snapshot from downtown Chicago:
Here’s a snapshot from where I live:
The maps only show Xfinity hotspots associated with commercial subscribers. The true number of hotspots is actually much larger since Xfinity has a huge number of residential subscribers.
Xfinity Mobile’s 5G Coverage
Xfinity Mobile subscribers with compatible devices will have access to Verizon’s 5G network.4 Xfinity Mobile subscribers have access to both Verizon’s millimeter wave 5G and Verizon’s low-band 5G.
Millimeter wave 5G is extremely fast, but the coverage profile is tiny. At the moment, Verizon only offers the service in small parts of 55 cities.
Verizon’s low-band 5G isn’t nearly as fast, but it has a much larger coverage profile. You can see whether 5G is available at your location by entering your zip code in Xfinity Mobile’s coverage tool.
- For more on the coverage profiles of different nationwide networks, see Reliability of Nationwide Networks.
- Image taken from Xfinity Mobile’s website on 10/11/2019.
- The map was taken from Verizon’s website on 10/14/2019.
- Some existing subscribers on Xfinity Mobile’s legacy plans will need to switch over to one of the current plans to receive 5G access.