Xfinity Mobile offers coverage over Verizon’s network. Verizon has the most extensive cellular network in the United States, so Xfinity Mobile subscribers will experience solid coverage in most areas.1 Those considering Xfinity Mobile as a low-cost option for service over Verizon’s network may also want to consider Visible. Visible runs over Verizon’s network and offers two plans: a basic unlimited plan for $25 per month and a premium unlimited plan for $35 per month.
Coverage map comparison
The coverage map below came from Xfinity Mobile’s website:2
The map from Xfinity Mobile is quite similar to Verizon’s own coverage map:3
The light red color marks areas where Verizon relies on roaming agreements with operators of other networks. I expect most of these networks are part of Verizon’s LTEiRA program that aims to extend Verizon’s coverage profile into rural America.
I compared both companies’ maps and added colored circles to highlight some features on Verizon’s map:
- Several green circles mark 4G roaming areas that are included in Verizon’s map but excluded from Xfinity Mobile’s map.
- Two yellow circles mark 4G roaming areas included in both maps.
Taking the maps at face value, they suggest Xfinity Mobile offers full service over Verizon’s native network and limited coverage from Verizon’s roaming partners.
Wi-Fi hotspot coverage
Xfinity Mobile subscribers can automatically connect to Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspots. Access to these hotspots is a great perk:
- While connected to an Xfinity hotspot, subscribers can access the internet without using their allotted cellular data.
- Hotspots often provide strong connections in areas where cellular signals would be weak or non-existent (e.g., in basements).
- Xfinity hotspots are extremely common.
An interactive map displaying the locations of Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspots is available on Xfinity’s website. Here’s a snapshot from downtown Chicago:
Here’s a snapshot near where I live:
The maps only show Xfinity hotspots associated with commercial subscribers. The total number of hotspots is much larger since Xfinity has a huge number of residential subscribers.
Xfinity Mobile’s 5G Coverage
Xfinity Mobile subscribers with compatible devices have access to Verizon’s 5G network, including both Verizon’s Ultra Wideband 5G and Verizon’s low-band 5G.
- For more on the coverage profiles of different nationwide networks, see Reliability of Nationwide Networks.
- Image taken from Xfinity Mobile’s website on 10/11/2019.
- The map was taken from Verizon’s website on 10/14/2019.